Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Holidays

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." -Helen Keller

"This is my wish for you: peace of mind, prosperity through the year, happiness that multiplies, health for you and yours, fun around every corner, energy to chase your dreams, joy to fill your holidays!" --D.M.

There really is something about the Christmas "air" that puts you in a joyful mood. Growing up, we never celebrated Christmas. My dad is Muslim and in certain ways was, and still is, traditional. This was one of them.

So, when Christmas time came around in my years of adolescence, we were gift-less. I guess my need to fit in back then exceeded my thoughts of appreciation. However, as time passed, and I learned that I had much more than I realized, my appreciation grew....exponentially! I have a set of great parents that have provided for me till this day. It is a lot to say in comparison to others that could not have the same. They have managed to raise 3 children into adults. They have taken us on numerous international trips. They have supported us financially through school with no questions asked. They have given us rides to and from school so that we didn't have to take public transportation. They have provided us with sufficient cars,insurance included. These are just to say the least of all they have done. Perhaps the most important thing that they have provided us was the gift of giving.

All three of us(kids) are generous and always open to everyone. We care a lot for others and definitely are not ashamed to show it when we can. For this gift, solely, I am grateful. And it didn't take years of Christmas' to feel that appreciation for them and what they have given us.

This year was possibly our first Christmas of many, together. My mom and I put up a tree that she bought last year. I committed myself to spending this time with her to do it because I knew the passion she felt towards it. Her excitement put me in a better mood when I assembled the tree and ornaments. The beauty of this all is that I got to spend QT time with her and it didn't cost a dime! Many know that my mom and I have had our differences. But, we always come to a point where we have to put that behind us and I am thankful for it.

I'm a daddy's girl all the way but obviously there's certain things I wouldn't talk to my dad about that I would talk to my mom about. That's just the way our dysfunctional family functions. We don't talk much but each of us know that the love that we share is stronger than we could understand.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE OUT THERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment